An internship is typically a work experience that is career-related. Internships can be paid or unpaid, be part-time or full-time, and can take place off-campus or on-campus. Summer internships are the most popular, but many students intern during the fall and spring semesters.
Why Do an Internship?
- Internships provide a way to try out a career and gain exposure to your field of interest while still in college. Many students have a hard time choosing between different career options - an internship is a great way to help you decide if you will like a career or not.
- Internships allow you to gain relevent experience and skills. Having an internship that is related to your career path can often count as "years of experience" when you go to apply for a job. You will stand out from the other candidates because you probably need less training than someone who did not do an internship.
- Networking is still the number one way people get jobs. By doing an internship in your field, you will meet many people that will be able to provide advice and assistance when you graduate.
Click here to see internship guidelines specificaly for CALS students.
Log in to ePACK to search for internships, jobs, post your resume and find employers that may offer the type of internship you are looking for.
Sample Internships by Major
Click here to see examples of internships by CALS major.
Kick Start Your Career
Need more help finding an internship? Attend the Kick Start session on Finding Your Dream Internship.
Other Internship Sites
- Agriventure - International Agricultural Exchanges
- US Environmental Protection Agency Internships - Internships, Fellowships, and Student Programs
- Global Service Corps - Volunteer abroad to work, teach, and learn about projects in developing countries
- Idealist.org - Search for Internships & volunteer opportunities with service and nonprofit organizations
- InternWeb - Search for internships and sign up for free newsletter
- Monstertrak - A variety of internship and entry level job opportunities
- National Institute of Environmental and Health Sciences - Summers of Discovery Program for students
- National Science Foundation - Database of undergraduate research opportunities in science
- NC State Government Internship Program - Paid internships in state government for all majors
- NCSU Co-op office - Enroll in alternating semesters of full-time study and full-time, paid employment
- NCSU Field Laboratories - Links to all NCSU field labs and employment applications
- The Student Conservation Association - Exciting internship opportunities related to environmental conservation
- USDA Poultry Programs - Student Career Experience Program
- Walt Disney World Professional Internships - Information about science related internships including opportunities in the Animal Kingdom (animal related) and Epcot Center (life science related)