William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor (1950)
|Since the first class of recipients in 1951, the appointment as a William Neal Reynolds Professor has been recognized as the highest honor open to faculty members in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.|
William Neal Reynolds established the endowment creating the distinguished professorships in 1950 through the contribution of 10,000 shares of class B stock in the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. The Reynold's gift is one of the greatest single programs to come to the College. The endowment enables the College to retain and attract prominent scientists. The endowment is designed to strengthen teaching, research and extension programs in the various fields of agriculture and to lift rural living standards in North Carolina.
The gift is one of many made to North Carolina State University by the Reynolds family in Winston-Salem. The University's 12,000-seat Coliseum bears the name of the late William Neal Reynolds. Mr. Reynold's niece, the late Mrs. Charles Babcock of Winston-Salem, donated the initial fund toward the creation of the structure.
R. J. Reynolds, Jr., former Mayor of Winston-Salem and an alumnus who studied with N. C. State's Class of 1927 has made several research and educational projects at the College possible.
|Professors in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, suggested but not stipulated, to be in the fields of agricultural biochemistry, agricultural economics, animal industry, entomology, horticulture, plant pathology, poultry, or rural sociology.|
|Nomination and Selection|
|When a college dean and the chancellor have certified a vacancy for a professorship of distinction, nomination and selection procedures defined in University Regulation REG 05.20.17, Professorships of Distinction, shall be followed.|