The goal of the Thomas Jefferson Scholars student organization is to provide an environment of fellowship and support for students studying both science and the humanistic disciplines. We combine social and intellectual fun, with a range of activities.
- biweekly meetings, where we plan activities and often have a guest speaker
- travel as a group, with a Fall trip over a long weekend
- service projects in the Raleigh community
- hosting the public Thomas Jefferson Scholar Distinguished Lecture Series in Spring
- the international trip for rising Seniors
In May, the third-year Scholars traveled with faculty to Prague and Vienna. Each year the Juniors coordinate with faculty to pick a destination for a week-long international trip. This year we were pleased to have Dean Jeff Braden and Jill Braden accompany us. We had a wonderful time exploring old Prague, touring historic sites, enjoying a folklore show (the Dean can dance!), and then training to Vienna.
In Vienna, one of the highlights was a chamber concert in the Schönbrunn Palace -- listening to Mozart's music in the room where he performed!