Discovery starts with a question. We ask lots of questions.
Asking questions leads to discovery. When it comes to protecting our environment and producing safe, nutritious foods, we’re asking all the right questions – and delivering cutting-edge discoveries.
Welcome to the North Carolina Agricultural Research Service (NCARS). What we Think and Do transforms challenges into agricultural and life sciences opportunities that benefit our state, the nation and the world.
Have questions? Join us to discover the answers.
- The North Carolina Agricultural Research Service is state’s principal agency of agricultural and life sciences research.
- Basic and applied research involves 600 projects supporting 70 commodities, agribusiness and life science industries.
- Research expenditures total $130 million annually.
- 18 Agricultural Research Stations, including the Center for Environmental Farming Systems in Goldsboro and field labs in Raleigh, Aurora, Butner, Hillsborough and Wallace
- The Plants for Human Health Institute on the NC Research Campus in Kannapolis, focusing on plant components that protect and enhance human health
Why North Carolina?
North Carolina is the complete ecosystem for agricultural and life sciences research.
Ag Biotech Industry
- 80+ ag biotech companies thriving in North Carolina
- Diversified community of large and small to mid-sized ag biotechnology companies
- Leading US life-science cluster covering $59B in annual economic activity
- $84B of economic activity yearly from agriculture
- 80+ different commercially grown crops
- 16% of NC workforce in the industry
- Active NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- University-led, statewide NC Cooperative Extension Service
Research and Development Landscape 3rd largest US bioscience industry cluster
- 7 bioscience parks, including the nation’s largest, Research Triangle Park
- 2 land-grant universities
- 36 wet lab and 25 core lab sites
- 18 state-supported research field stations covering 19,000+ acres
- Fastest-growing US biotech hub with 600+ biotech companies
- Low state and local tax burdens
- Top-ranked US location to live, work and conduct business
- Vibrant entrepreneurial and capital investment communities