Frequently Asked Questions

First-Year Students

  • What is MCR?
    R (Minimum Course Requirements) is a standard set by the University of North Carolina system for the minimum number and types of each class expected of each incoming UNC-system student. Please visit the UNC System of Higher Education's website for more clarification.
  • Does Admissions have a minimum SAT or ACT score?
    here is not a minimum score for either test, but average scores and GPAs for incoming students are competitive! Please note that combined scores do NOT include the written portion of either test.
  • I was classified as a non-resident although I'm sure I’m an NC resident. How can I fix this?
    nce admitted, contact the Residency Office at 919-513-1287 and visit their website for forms. If this classification occurs, and you are not admitted, no further action is required.
  • Where should I send my AP/IB scores?
    AP and IB scores should be sent electronically from the testing center to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. View this current list of accepted scores. Questions regarding how scores will be applied to your degree audit can be directed to your advisor once you arrive.
  • What kinds of scholarships are available to me?
    If you apply to NCSU by October 15 and are admitted on January 30, you will be considered for merit-based scholarships through the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Admitted CALS students are also eligible for specific CALS scholarships.

Transfer Students

  • Do transfer students have to declare a major?
    All transfer students must declare a major when applying to NC State. You can select any major except the following:

    First-Year College

    Elementary Education Education

    Any undeclared major 

  • Is there a maximum limit for transfer credits?
    here is no maximum of credits that can be transferred from other schools to NC State. 
  • Why didn't all of my credits transfer to NC State?
    This could be due to a multitude of reasons. Please contact Undergraduate Admissions for clarification. 

  • Do transfer students qualify for financial aid?
    Yes! Contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for help with this process.
  • Am I a transfer student if I'm currently attending my first semester of college?
    Yes. Anyone who has attended a college class, even for one day, after high school graduation is considered a transfer student. 

For further questions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions.