The goal of the Thomas Jefferson Scholars student organization is to provide an environment of fellowship and support for students studying both science and the humanistic disciplines. We combine social and intellectual fun, with a range of activities.
- biweekly meetings, where we plan activities and often have a guest speaker
- travel as a group, with a Fall trip over a long weekend
- service projects in the Raleigh community
- hosting the public Thomas Jefferson Scholar Distinguished Lecture Series in Spring
- the international trip for rising Seniors
In May, the third-year Scholars traveled with faculty to Portugal. Each year the Juniors coordinate with faculty to pick a destination for a week-long international trip. A highlight of the trip was visiting the University of Lisbon's Instituto Superior de Agronomia to discuss local agricultural innovations and learn about the Institute's innovative, interdisciplinary programs. We also had a fantastic day at the Maroteira Farm in the Alentejo region, where we learned about long-term, sustainable cork farming at their beautiful cork forest.