Ready, Set, Future
We are excited that you desire to earn a Master of Microbial Biotechnology degree from NC State University.
Before you begin the application process, note the following requirements for the MMB program at NC State:
- All applicants must apply through The Graduate School
- The MMB program offers fall admission only
- Application deadlines: Deadline: May 1 for domestic students; March 1 for international applicants
- All MMB students must have taken an undergraduate microbiology course and an undergraduate biochemistry course and earned a B- or better. If you did not receive a "B-" or better you may be required to retake the course(s) prior to beginning the program. Prospective students who did not take one or both will be required to complete one or both courses prior to the start of the program. Applicants may apply to the program before completing any of the prerequisites, but you must finish and receive a grade of "B-" or higher before beginning the program.
- Students must have a 3.0 or greater GPA. If your GPA is below a 3.0, you may be required to take one to three additional graduate-level courses before being considered for admission.
**Due to COVID-19 the MMB application will not require a GRE score for fall 2021 applications**
The following items are required in your application package:
- Official transcripts from a four-year bachelor’s program. International applicants with a three-year degree must have their degree credentialed through an agency such as World Education Service or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
- Official GRE scores. The Institutional Code for NC State University is 5496. (A departmental code is not required.) See more information about the GRE below.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (for international students), no older than 24 months prior to the requested entry term. Note: These test scores are not required if you are a citizen of a country where English is the official language and the language of instruction in higher education, or have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a four-year U.S. college or university.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from professional references. Personal references will not be accepted.
- Personal statement. Please demonstrate (in about 2-3 pages) your understanding of the scope of the MMB program and clearly convey your background; what led you to choose the MMB program; your post-graduation goals; and how the program will help you accomplish your professional goals. You may discuss prior and current research experiences, but note that the Master of Microbial Biotechnology is not a research-oriented degree.
Average GRE test scores of students accepted into the MMB program at NC State:
|GRE Test Section||General Test Scores|
|Verbal Reasoning||156 (146)|
|Quantitative Reasoning||153 (147)|
|Analytical Writing||> 4.0 (3.0)|